- For the stronger enemy, see Huge Dog.
| Spawns randomly in the Dry Meadow Biome|
Rarely spawns in the Silent Forest
Camp in Dry Meadow
|Running Speed||2 (10 when sprinting)|
|Notes||Can be baited with Meat.|
Dogs are passive creatures in Darkwood.
They constantly roam about the Dry Meadow, but may also spawn in predetermined locations such as by the Wolf's Camp or the Burned Houses, and more rarely, they can spawn in the Silent Forest. They spawn near the Dry Meadow Hideout during the night phase.
Dogs met during the day do not attack on sight; instead, they'll stay in place while barking and growling, and will only move to strike if the Protagonist stays in their aggro range, moves to within melee range, or attacks with a ranged weapon such as a Stone. At night, Dogs are always aggressive. They attack by biting, and each bite deals 1/3 of a health pip worth of damage.
Being territorial animals, Dogs will attack other creatures on sight if they cross paths. They may also howl, attracting all nearby Dogs to help them.
- A dog's attack can be interrupted by a successful melee hit. Once engaged a dog can be kited by constantly walking backwards and swinging when the Dog enters attack range.
- The player can scare away a pack of Dogs by shooting a firearm.
- Given enough stamina, dogs can be outrun.
- Dogs can also be lured and distracted with Meat.
- Before Alpha 6.0, Dogs became peaceful once the skill Animals are less aggressive was learned, and would even follow the player around for a limited amount of time.
- In Barn Ruins, there are several dogs with greatly swollen bellies lying prostrate on the floor, either due to infestation or advanced pregnancy.
- The Protagonist has a pet dog, Szurek. Szurek can briefly be seen in the Epilogue, and the only interaction with him is petting him. It should be noted that Szurek is the real-life pet of the game's developers, Acid Wizard Studios, and therefore his presence in the game may be more of an easter egg than canon.
|Banshee • Banshee Baby • Black Chomper • Burning Villager • Centipede • Elk • Floor Gore • Huge Dog • Human Spider • Mushroom Man • Red Chomper • Savage (Horns) • Savage (Rock) • Savage (Stick) • Shadow • Swamper|
|Black Substance • Dog • Glare • Huge Bug • Pig • The Snout • The Sow • Vines • Villager • Worms|
|Chicken • Bride • Crow/Raven • Growths • Rabbit|