- Not to be confused with Church Ruins.
|The Church (dream)|
|Notable loot|| Medallion|
After a short walk, the player will find themselves in front of a church. Next to the church, the player will encounter the Madman who tells them to "stand in the line". The inside of the church is heavily damaged. Behind an altar is a trapdoor, which is locked with a code. If the player approaches it, a line of people will appear behind them, shouting that they need to wait in the line like the rest of them.
The player can choose to fight or run from the Black Chomper.
To escape, the player must break down the window in the room using the axe. Outside, a Lockpick on the nearby corpse can be used to open a locked gate, entering which will end the dream.
If the player manages to kill the Black Chomper, the Medallion can be found on its corpse, which contains the code for the trapdoor behind the altar.
There are several ways the dream can end, each with consequences.
- Escape from the Church -- Church Basement will be inhabited by Red Chompers. Madman will appear next to the altar of Church Ruins.
- Get killed by the Black Chomper -- Same as above.
- Enter the trapdoor -- Church Basement will be inhabited by Huge Dogs. A disemboweled chomper can be found next to the altar of Church Ruins, containing the Medallion.
Every conclusion will result in the Strange Box appearing in the player's inventory in the real world.
- Note that killing this Black Chomper will not award the 'No sleep for the wicked' achievement/trophy (confirmed on PS4 edition). This achievement/trophy can only be acquired by killing the Black Chomper in The Grave dream sequence.
- This dream won't happen in Chapter 2.